Skip to main content

Week 12 Story Laboratory: Crash Course

What is Myth? Link.

This first thing that caught my attention in these videos was what myth is made of. It is a combination of literature, history, anthropology, sociology, relion, and science. I think its amazing how many things are incorporated into mythology. Mike also talked about that there are many interpretations of mythology. I think it is really intriguing that one myth from hundreds of years ago and be told throughout generations and maybe their interpretation can change based on the changing of civilization and languages. Mike also spends time on the actual definition of 'myth'. In present day, we use myth as synonymous to 'not true' or 'lie'. However, the definition of myth can be simplified to mean a story. Many different people have different definitions of what can be classified as a myth- for example some people believe that myths can only relate to the creation of world and universe and therefore myths are under a broader religious background. 

Theories of Myth. Link. 

This video touched more on the 'how' of mythology instead of 'what' mythology is. I thought it was interesting how concepts of mythology have always existed in some form, however, the actual study of mythology was not actually a thing until the 18th and 19th centuries. Basically, it seems as there are several theories of what and how mythology are formed, and sometimes it really just boils down to a matter of opinions. I love that there are multiple ways to interpret mythology and it is not a 'set in stone' study. 


[What is Mythology? Image Information.]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 9 Story: Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom An orphan from birth, Kang always felt like an outcast in his African village. He had no last name, and therefore no title. No girls wanted to marry him and no men wanted to be associated with him. Although he remained polite and respectful to everyone he met, he could feel his resentment towards the village people grow the more they neglected him. As he grew older, he began to have thoughts of leaving his village. A new life surrounded by all new people became more appealing as the days passed by. However, they were the only village within miles of any other human civilization, and in order to go to a new village he would need to venture days through the wilderness. He finally worked up enough nerve and left in the morning.  Running away from the village- he never felt more free. It was as if he could run for hours without any pains or fears. Nightfall came and he found a large rock which to sleep by. He fell asleep peacefully but awoke to the sound of a lioness's