Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Nigerian Folk Stories, Part B

 Why the Bush Cow and the Elephant are Bad Friends

I was drawn to this story because of how it mentions elephants. Since I have decided to do my storybook website on elephants, I am always excited to read and take notes on stories that involve elephants. In this story, an elephant and a bush cow never got along. The elephant always boasted about his size and strength. With the elephant talking on and on about his greatness, it made the bushcow ashamed because he too believed he was strong and to be feared by animals and man. The situation was then taken to the chief, and the chief recommended that the two animals fight it out to determine who the toughest, strongest one would be. As the fight neared, the bush cow went towards the market and started tearing up the ground and making a scene. He asked animals that passed by if they knew where the elephant was. After some time, the elephant was heard trumpeting down the streets and soon came into the sightline of the bushcow. Once they saw each other, they charged and started fighting in full force right next to the market (which was not where the chief had advised them to fight). This resulted in damaging many farms and scarring the animals and people away from the scene. A monkey in the trees saw their fighting and decided to tell the chief about it. As he was on his way, he frequently became distracted and forgetful of his reason of going to the chief. However, after prompting by the chief he remembered his message and told of the elephant's and bush cow's fight. Immediately the chief took his bow and arrow and went to the fight scene. Because of the damage they caused and danger they had put everyone in, the chief shot both the elephant and cow. The animals died before the winner of the fight could be won- resulting in a forever battle between elephants and bush cows. 

[Bush Cow. Image Information]


Bibliography:

Dayrell, E. The Bush Cow and the Elephant. Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria. Link.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to ...

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 9 Story: Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom An orphan from birth, Kang always felt like an outcast in his African village. He had no last name, and therefore no title. No girls wanted to marry him and no men wanted to be associated with him. Although he remained polite and respectful to everyone he met, he could feel his resentment towards the village people grow the more they neglected him. As he grew older, he began to have thoughts of leaving his village. A new life surrounded by all new people became more appealing as the days passed by. However, they were the only village within miles of any other human civilization, and in order to go to a new village he would need to venture days through the wilderness. He finally worked up enough nerve and left in the morning.  Running away from the village- he never felt more free. It was as if he could run for hours without any pains or fears. Nightfall came and he found a large rock which to sleep by. He fell asleep peacefully but awoke to the sound of a lioness's ...