Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Folklore of Laos, Part A

 A Child of The Woods

Usually I prefer to write stories which are based on elephants, or animals in general, as the main character. However, after reading this story I found I really enjoyed it and wanted to write notes so that I could remember and refer back to it again in the future. This story begins with a stranger that visits a large village in the middle of a jungle. There is one elderly woman that is loved by all the people, so he asks her why everyone admires her. She then answers by telling him the story of how she arrived here. 

When she was young, she grew up in a typical village surrounded by people with whom she did not like. She describes growing more angry the longer she lived there. So, one day she fled to the forest to escape the feelings of hatred and the men in her village. She ran fast and far, never tiring. Eventually she laid down to go to sleep under a tree- not afraid of the beasts in the forest. She awoke in the middle of the night to a tiger standing over her, however, she was not afraid. She went back to sleep and when morning came the tiger left. The beasts of the forests watched over her every night from that point on, and all the hatred faded away as she spent time in the forest. She once arrived at a village and told the people about her experiences. They were in awe and they brought her gifts. She stayed in that village for a year until it was time for her to return to her own village in the jungle. The people ended up going with her and they have all been happy and protected by the wild animals ever since. 

Bibliography

Fleeson, Katherine. A Child of The Woods. Laos Fold-Lore. 1899. Link.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to ...

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 9 Story: Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom An orphan from birth, Kang always felt like an outcast in his African village. He had no last name, and therefore no title. No girls wanted to marry him and no men wanted to be associated with him. Although he remained polite and respectful to everyone he met, he could feel his resentment towards the village people grow the more they neglected him. As he grew older, he began to have thoughts of leaving his village. A new life surrounded by all new people became more appealing as the days passed by. However, they were the only village within miles of any other human civilization, and in order to go to a new village he would need to venture days through the wilderness. He finally worked up enough nerve and left in the morning.  Running away from the village- he never felt more free. It was as if he could run for hours without any pains or fears. Nightfall came and he found a large rock which to sleep by. He fell asleep peacefully but awoke to the sound of a lioness's ...