Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Alaskan Legends, Part B

 The First Woman

I really enjoyed reading native american stories because they seem very different from the folklore's I have read previously in this class. This story begins with describing a village that is made up entirely of men. It is known that a ways away there is a woman that lives all by herself. One day, a man decides to travel all the way to go meet the woman. He arrives to her house and he marries her quickly. At the same time, another man gets the same idea to go meet the woman and make her his wife. When that man arrives, he sees the woman with the other man and thinks of a plan. That night, he sneaks into the house and grabs her. He pulls her by her arms and drags her out of the house. The sleeping husband is woken up by the noise and runs out to save his wife. He grabs her by her legs and pulls in order to get her away from the man. Unfortunately, the two men were in a 'tug-of-war' situation and ended up pulling so hard that they ripped the woman into two halves. Shocked, the men quickly gathered some wood to rebuild the halves of the woman missing. The husband built the top half of wood and the other man did the same with the bottom half. At the end of the day, two women were created and each man went home with one of them. The woman that lost her legs was never good at dancing and the woman that lost her upper half was never good at sewing. To this day the legend remains that women in the south are great dancers but terrible with their hands, and women in the north are great with their hands but terrible dancers. 

[Alaskan Women. Image Information.]



Bibliography

Judson, Katharine. The First Woman. Myths and Legends of Alaska. 1911. Link. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to ...

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 9 Story: Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom An orphan from birth, Kang always felt like an outcast in his African village. He had no last name, and therefore no title. No girls wanted to marry him and no men wanted to be associated with him. Although he remained polite and respectful to everyone he met, he could feel his resentment towards the village people grow the more they neglected him. As he grew older, he began to have thoughts of leaving his village. A new life surrounded by all new people became more appealing as the days passed by. However, they were the only village within miles of any other human civilization, and in order to go to a new village he would need to venture days through the wilderness. He finally worked up enough nerve and left in the morning.  Running away from the village- he never felt more free. It was as if he could run for hours without any pains or fears. Nightfall came and he found a large rock which to sleep by. He fell asleep peacefully but awoke to the sound of a lioness's ...