Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Jewish Fairy Tales, Part A

The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog

Having seen many "quarrels" between cats and dogs, this story intrigued me. In my experiences, dogs have always been interested in cats and have tried to be friendly, while cats are the ones that swat and hiss the dogs away. Before reading this story, I predicted that the cat would be the villain and the dog would be the good character. I was surprised when the story began as the cats and dogs originating as friends, having an inseperable bond. However, when winter came and food was scarce, it was the cat that decided the two should part ways. The dog tried to resist the separation, however the cat was not going to change her opinion. On top of splitting ways, the cat insisted that they never cross paths again- as it was 'bad business'. Reluctantly, the dog agreed and went on his way into the cold wild. The cat found her way straight to Adam's house where she caught mice for him and ended up getting fat. The dog was not so lucky. He struggled in the wilderness, constantly getting turned down from other animals and put in danger's path. Over time he became skinny and weak- nearing death several times. Eventually, he came upon a house and fell asleep there for the night. He was woken up to the sound of animals nearing for an attack, and barked to alert the house owner. To his surprise, it was Adam that came out and scared away all the wild animals. Adam invited him into his home, but the dog knew the cat would be there and insisted he must leave. The cat saw the dog and became angry that the dog had broken their contract deal. Although the dog wanted to stay, he knew him and the cat would never be able to get along. So, he decided to go to Seth's home where he was wanted. In the end, the cat and the dog were never able to get along- creating an everlasting quarrel between the cat and dog.

I really enjoyed reading this story, and I think there are many ways in which I could recreate it. Whether it's keeping the cat and dog characters and updating it's setting, or changing the animals altogether- this is a story that can be retold in many different ways. 

[Cat and Dog Fighting. Image Information]


Bibliography

Landa, Gertrude. The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog. Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends. Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 11 Story: The Hidden Oasis

The Hidden Oasis In a poor village, there was a boy that was known for this love for animals. Although not getting enough food to satisfy his own needs, he always would give portions of his own food to his animals in order to keep them alive. He had a three dogs and two cats that he loved more than his own family. During one part of the year, there was a terrible drought that cost the village countless lives. Food was scarce and the boy struggled to gather enough food for his animals. He begged his parents to help him gather enough food for his animals, but the parents did no such thing. In fact, they threatened to kill the animals for a source of food for themselves. Although he didn't like the idea of stealing, he knew that is what he must do to keep them alive. He stole food from his parents, friends, and other villagers. Soon enough, people started to notice that his animals were growing stronger and fatter. The village was aware that someone was stealing, so they concluded it