Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Tales of a Parrot, Part A

 The Old Lion and the Cat

    This article immediately caught my eye because the title mentions animals. However, when I first started reading I was confused why it started off with talking about people. I then realized this was a 'story inside of a story'. The main idea is that there is a parrot that lives with Khojisteh, and gives her advice about different situations. Khojisteh noticed the parrot was deep in thought and asks him what he was thinking about. The parrot responded how he was thinking about Khojisteh and her husband and how she might repent her actions. He then began to tell her a story of a mouse and a cat. That is where the title comes from. In this story, an old desert lion would get shreds of meat stuck in between his teeth. Mice then would scurry up to him when he slept, and eat the pieces of meat out of his teeth. This caused the lion's rest to become disturbed and not sleep well. A friend of the lion, a fox, said that he should 'hire' a cat to keep watch over him as he slept and keep the mice away. Agreeing to the idea, he did just that. The cat was very successful in keeping the mice away, making sure to be careful not to kill any of the mice. She knew that if all the mice were dead, she would essential be out of a job. The lion increased her rank for the great job she was doing, and one day she asked the lion for a day off for business. In her place, she offered her kitten to stand watch over the sleeping lion that night. The lion agreed and that night the kitten killed all the mice. When the cat returned, she saw the damage that had been done and scolded her kitten. The kitten was confused though because the cat had never told her not to kill the mice. As the cat predicted, the lion did not need her anymore and let her go. 
    This concluded the story from the parrot and he warned Khojisteh that she may be in the same situation as the cat, repenting her actions with her husband. I really enjoyed reading the story about the lion and the cat, and if I were to recreate this story I would leave out the 'story within a story' aspect of it. Instead of the parrot telling the story, I would instead make the plot between the lion and cat the entire story. 


[Lion and a cat. Image information.]



Bibliography

 Nakhshabi, Ziya'al-Din. The Old Lion and the Cat. Tales of a Parrot 1801. Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 11 Story: The Hidden Oasis

The Hidden Oasis In a poor village, there was a boy that was known for this love for animals. Although not getting enough food to satisfy his own needs, he always would give portions of his own food to his animals in order to keep them alive. He had a three dogs and two cats that he loved more than his own family. During one part of the year, there was a terrible drought that cost the village countless lives. Food was scarce and the boy struggled to gather enough food for his animals. He begged his parents to help him gather enough food for his animals, but the parents did no such thing. In fact, they threatened to kill the animals for a source of food for themselves. Although he didn't like the idea of stealing, he knew that is what he must do to keep them alive. He stole food from his parents, friends, and other villagers. Soon enough, people started to notice that his animals were growing stronger and fatter. The village was aware that someone was stealing, so they concluded it