Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Santal, Part A

 The Killing of the Tiger

This story intrigued me because of its title. I love stories with animals in it, but this one did not seem to be a happy ending for the tiger just based of the title. However, when I began reading it I quickly found myself intrigued in the story and wanting to read more. The setting for this story was in India in a period where all animals and men shared the same language. There was a road that many villagers would travel down, but a tiger was attacking the people and killing anyone that passed. As a result, the road became abandoned and no one dared to travel down it. The townspeople pleaded to the king in order to send soldiers to kill the tiger, and he acknowledged that something must be done. He first asked the soldiers but not a single one dared to go face the tiger. He then gave the same offer to everyone in the town. A poor man was the only one that accepted the request, knowing the prize would be half the kingdom. The king signed the deed but figured he would surely be killed. He left to go kill the tiger with only a hatchet, three pictures of hand drawn tigers, and a looking glass. He told the king he would either return with the dead tiger, or pieces of his claws, ears, and tongue so that he could prove he killed it. He then found the tiger and made him look through the looking glass at the pictures to see "the other three tigers he had already captured". The tiger, afraid, pleaded for his life and said he would no longer kill anyone if the man let him live. The man accepted his plea but told him he must give him some pieces of claw, ear, and tongue. The tiger did so and the man returned to the kingdom where he collected him prize. Unfortunately, the tiger got an infection in his tongue and ended up dying the same day. 


Bibliography

Bompas, Cecil. The Killing of the Tiger. Folklore of the Santal Parganas. Link.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

All About Me Hey! My name is Katie and I am currently a senior at the University of Oklahoma. When people say time flies by in college, they aren't kidding! I feel like it was just yesterday that I moved into the dorms freshman year, and now within a couple of months I will be moving on to something new. I am currently studying biopsychology as a pre-medical student. I really enjoy sciences so I have enjoyed almost all of my classes I have takes throughout undergraduate so far. I spent the summer studying for the MCAT, and am currently in the process of applying to medical school! This semester I am excited for my classes, but anxious about how they will turn out with all of them online. However, it is important to be flexible, especially in a pandemic, so I am hoping to make the most of it! Besides academics, I love playing volleyball and doing other activities with my friends. My junior year I was the president of the OU Women's Club Volleyball team, and enjoyed traveling to ...

Comment Wall

  [Baby Elephants. Image Information. ] Storybook URL: Click here.   Thank you for your feedback!

Week 9 Story: Finding Freedom

Finding Freedom An orphan from birth, Kang always felt like an outcast in his African village. He had no last name, and therefore no title. No girls wanted to marry him and no men wanted to be associated with him. Although he remained polite and respectful to everyone he met, he could feel his resentment towards the village people grow the more they neglected him. As he grew older, he began to have thoughts of leaving his village. A new life surrounded by all new people became more appealing as the days passed by. However, they were the only village within miles of any other human civilization, and in order to go to a new village he would need to venture days through the wilderness. He finally worked up enough nerve and left in the morning.  Running away from the village- he never felt more free. It was as if he could run for hours without any pains or fears. Nightfall came and he found a large rock which to sleep by. He fell asleep peacefully but awoke to the sound of a lioness's ...